“When you want to learn how to do something yourself, most people won't understand. They'll assume the only reason we do anything is to get it done, and doing it yourself is not the most efficient way. But that's forgetting about the joy of learning and doing. Yes, it may take longer. Yes, it may be inefficient. Yes, it may even cost you millions of dollars in lost opportunities because your business is growing slower because you're insisting on doing something yourself. But the whole point of doing anything is because it makes you happy! That's it! You might get bigger faster and make millions if you outsourced everything to the experts. But what's the point of getting bigger and making millions? To be happy, right? In the end, it's about what you want to be, not what you want to have.” – Derek Sivers
- Speed up Visual Studio Builds – Some tips for speeding up visual studio builds for solutions that contains lots of projects. Interesting suggestion about RAM drives which I had never heard of.
- 10 Absentee UX Features on Top e-Commerce … – The most interesting one of this list of features is the idea of Spanish content, which I find oddly analogous to having a mobile site. There is a growing segment of the population for which we don’t have an optimized experience.
- What is WCF Web Api- This looks like the replacement for the WCF Rest Starter Kit. Time to start using it.
- Do No Evil? Google’s Deceptive Practices Harm Consumers- A little Google bashing
- CSS Property Reference
- Ajax Control Toolkit July 2011 Release and the New HTML Editor Extender – Find it fascinating and encouraging that despite all the jquery hype that they’re still making good progress on Ajax Control Toolkit.
- HTML5 Part 1: Semantic Markup and Page Layout – Series of really beginner posts on HTML5HTML5 Part 4: Using HTML5 while retaining support for older browsers
- Faces with Your Cases: Profile Pictures in FogBugz
- SemanticConflict-Martin Fowler doesn’t like our feature branching strategy
- Feature switching: a better way to collaborate – So here’s an alternative that I can’t say makes sense to me, but maybe someone else can glean some inspiration from it.
“But when I seek out your voice
My ears are overcome with noise
You show and tell of greatest deeds